Chipotle Chicken with Dumpling Noodles & Potatoes
- 1 2 lb
- [weight can vary] whole chicken
- adobo powder, to suite your taste
- chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
- small onion, chopped
- cilantro, chopped, to suite your taste
- minced garlic, to suite your taste
- ground black peppercorns, to suite your taste
- 1/2 pkg
- mary b's frozen dumpling 24oz pkg [frozen dough sticks]
- 5-6 medium
- yukon gold potatoes, chunked
THIS DISH IS VERY MEATY, YOU CAN DOUBLE THE REST OF THE INGREDIENTS TO MAKE A FAMILY SIZE POT.
How to Make Chipotle Chicken with Dumpling Noodles & Potatoes
- 1In a large, heavy walled, pan with well fitting lid, put your whole chicken, breast side down, and the giblets, into the pan and season with Adobo powder. Add water until just the back of the chicken is not covered. Place lid, and boil chicken on high, adding water as needed, until the bird falls apart when poked with a cooking spoon. About 45 minutes. [You could substitue boneless chicken breasts to save time, and use chicken broth to get a rich broth.]
- 2Use a slotted spoon to pull out all meat and bones, and giblets out of the broth, let cool on a platter. I had left about 1/4 of the pans height broth still in the pan, added 1 tea kettle worth cold water. Add more Adobo powder if needed and grind black pepper corns over the broth, add the minced garlic and chopped cilantro and onions and chipotle peppers. Bring broth back up to a boil.
- 3Break apart the chicken into the broth carefully, slice up the giblets if you'd like into the pot, remove the frozen dumpling sticks from freezer, work quickly to snap them of into pieces about 1" long into the broth [if they start thawing they stick together]continue cooking at a slow boil until the dumplings have cooked where they are plumping, adding small amounts of water to keep some liquid in the pan. You don't need to put the lid back on the pan. This takes about 30 minutes.
- 4Add the chunks of potatoes carefully, and turn heat down to a simmer and cook until potatoes are done and most of the liquid is cooked down. Serve after letting pot cool down a little.