Chilled Udon with Sweet and Spicy Chicken
Vicki Butts (lazyme)
- 2 Tbsp
- finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 lb
- boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 1/3 c
- soy sauce
- 1/4 c
- 1 tsp
- asian chile paste with garlic
- 2 tsp
- asian sesame oil
- 12 oz
- dried udon noodles (or 16-ounces fresh)
- 6 c
- baby spinach, coarse stems discarded
- scallions, julienned, garnish
- toasted sesame seeds
How to Make Chilled Udon with Sweet and Spicy Chicken
- 1Press or squeeze ginger using a fine sieve or cheesecloth until enough juice is extracted to measure 1 tablespoon.
- 2Heat a well-seasoned large ridged grill pan over high heat until hot. Pat chicken dry and season with salt and pepper. Mix together soy sauce, mirin, ginger juice, chile paste, and sesame oil. Set aside 1/2 cup of soy mixture and toss remainder with chicken.
- 3Grill chicken until just cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes on each side. When cool enough to handle, tear into bite-size pieces.
- 4If using dried noodles, cook in a large pot of boiling water until al dente, about 12 minutes. Stir in spinach during last minute of cooking. (If using fresh udon, add noodles and spinach simultaneously to boiling water and cook 10 to 20 seconds total.) Drain noodles and spinach and transfer to a bowl of ice and cold water. When cold, drain well in a colander.
- 5Toss noodles and spinach with reserved soy mixture in a large bowl.
- 6Serve noodles and spinach topped with chicken.
Chicken can be grilled on an outdoor grill -- lightly oil rack and set 5 to 6 inches over glowing coals.