Chicken with Sun-Dried Tomato Cream Sauce
Vicki Butts (lazyme)
From Gourmet, October 2002.
4skinless boneless chicken breast halves (1 1/2 pound total)
1 Tbspolive oil
4garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cdrained sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, patted dry and coarsely chopped
3/4 tspdried hot red pepper flakes
1/4 cdry white wine
3/4 cchicken broth
1/4 cheavy cream
1/4 cthinly sliced fresh basil
How to Make Chicken with Sun-Dried Tomato Cream Sauce
- Pat chicken dry and season with salt and black pepper. Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then brown chicken, turning once, about 6 minutes total. (Chicken will not be cooked through.) Transfer with tongs to a plate.
- Add garlic, tomatoes, and red pepper flakes to skillet and sauté, stirring, until garlic is pale golden, about 1 minute. Add wine and boil, stirring and scraping up brown bits, until reduced by half, about 1 minute. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil, covered.
- Add chicken to skillet with any juices accumulated on plate and simmer, covered, until just cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer chicken with tongs to a platter and keep warm, loosely covered with foil. Stir cream and 2 tablespoons basil into sauce in skillet and bring just to a simmer.
- Transfer sauce to a deep heatproof bowl or 1-quart glass measure and purée with an immersion blender until almost smooth. (Alternatively, blend sauce in a standing blender. Use caution when blending hot liquids.) If necessary, add water to thin to desired consistency, then season with salt and pepper.
- Serve sauce over chicken and sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons basil.