Chicken with Peppers and Sausage1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
- 1/2 lb
- italian sausage, sweet
- 1 large
- red bell pepper
- 1 large
- yellow bell pepper
- red onion
- 3 Tbsp
- olive oil
- 1/2 tsp
- dried thyme
- chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- "just a pinch" of salt
- "just a pinch" of pepper
- 4 tsp
- balsamic vinegar
- fresh sprigs of thyme
How to Make Chicken with Peppers and Sausage
- 1About 40 minutes before serving, in a 12" skillet over medium heat, heat sausage and 1/4 cup water to boiling; cover and cook 5 minutes.
- 2Remove cover; cook until sausages are browned, about 20 minutes, turning sausages frequently and pricking them to release fat.
- 3Meanwhile, cut each pepper into 1 1/2" wide strips; cut red onion into thin wedges.
- 4In 3 quart saucepan over medium-high heat, in hot olive or salad oil, cook peppers, onions and thyme about 10 minutes or until vegetables are fork-tender, stirring mixture frequently.
- 5Cut each chicken breast in half; sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- 6With slotted spoon, remove sausage to paper towels to drain and cool slightly; thinly slice sausage diagonally.
- 7In sausage drippings remaining in skillet over medium heat, cook chicken breasts until tender and browned, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- 8To chicken in skillet, add vinegar, vegetable mixture and sliced sausage; heat through.
- 9Garnish with thyme sprigs to serve.
- 10SUBSTITUTIONS: May substitute red wine vinegar for balsamic vinegar and salad oil for olive oil, if desired.