Chicken with Creamy Mushroom Sauce
★★★★★ 1 vote5
4boneless, skinless chicken breasts
·salt & pepper
·all purpose flour
FOR THE SAUCE:
3 cupsfresh button mushrooms, sliced
1 med.onion, sliced
214-oz can chicken broth
1/2 cupflour dissolved in 3/4 cup water (slurry mixture)
1 cupheavy cream
4 Tbspcooking sherry, or to taste
1 tsplemon juice, fresh
·salt & pepper
How to Make Chicken with Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper and then dredge in flour, shaking off the excess flour. Set aside.
- Melt the 4 Tbsp butter in a large skillet over medium heat, saute the chicken until fully cooked & browned on both sides ( 170 to 175 degrees F)
Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
- Prepare the sauce:
In the same skillet, melt the 2 Tbsp butter and add the sliced onions and stir until slightly caramelized. Then add in the sliced mushrooms, stir until lightly browned.
- Add the chicken broth and continue cooking until it boils, then reduce the heat.
Add a little hot broth to the slurry and mix it well to avoid lumps.
Pour the slurry mixture into the broth & mushrooms, stirring constantly. Continue cooking until the sauce bubbles & thickens.
- Add the heavy cream and stir to combine.
Stir in the cooking sherry and lemon juice.
Season with salt and pepper to taste, continue to simmer for 5 mins., stirring occasionally to avoid sticking to the pan.
- Place the chicken breast on a plate and pour the mushroom sauce over the top. Serve hot.