Chicken with Chickpeas,Tomatoes & Balsamic Sauce
By hmiller1, member www://FineCooking.com
February 28th, 2010
One of my favorite meals in the summer is grilled chicken with a couscous, chickpea, and sundried tomato salad. With that inspiration in mind and six inches of snow outside, I created a warm version for the slow cooker.
The pre-browned chicken, chickpeas, sundried tomatoes, and a rich balsamic sauce deliver a non-traditional and delicious slow cooker meal. Best served over couscous, of course!
- 3-4 lb
- chicken breast or drum sticks
- 3 15oz can(s)
- chick peas
- 2 14.5 oz can(s)
- diced tomatoes - undrained
- 1 c
- chicken broth
- 1 6 oz can(s)
- tomatoe paste
- 1/2 c
- julienne/diced sundried tomatoes
- 1/3 c
- balsamic vinegar
- 4 minced
- garlic cloves
- 1/4 tsp
- onion 1/4" slices
- 1 Tbsp
- olive oil
How to Make Chicken with Chickpeas,Tomatoes & Balsamic Sauce
- 1Heat tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat in large sauce pan or large skillet until shimmering and generously season the chicken drumsticks with salt and pepper. Brown chicken in two batches. Brown about 2 minutes or so each side and another minute to brown any remaining skin. Remove and brown the second batch of chicken.
- 2Meanwhile, place drained and rinsed chickpeas in a large microwave-able bowl with enough fresh water to cover them. Microwave on high for about 7 or 8 minutes so they are warm, but not popping. Once heated, drain again.
- 3Spray inside of 6 quart crockpot with non-stick spray and place all drumsticks on bottom of crockpot as a single layer without stacking. If you have a couple that won't fit, just stack on the side.
- 4In pan used for browning chicken, combine undrained diced tomatoes, chicken broth, tomato paste, sundried tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, garlic, basil, and pepper. Stir until tomato paste is combined.
- 5Add onion and drained, warm chickpeas and stir to combine. Heat entire mixture until it comes to a boil.
- 6Once it’s just at a boil, take the pan and pour entire contents over drumsticks in slow cooker. Use a spoon to distribute it evenly and cover slow cooker.
- 7Cook on low for 4 hours, or once chicken is tender.
- 8Remove chicken with tongs. Spoon chickpea and tomato sauce over rice or couscous with chicken on top of it all. Spoon more sauce on top and add fresh chopped parsley (latter is optional). Sometimes if I’m in a pinch and there isn’t any fresh parsley around, I’ll finely chop a few spinach leaves to help add a bit of color