Prep time: 30 minutes
chilling time 1 to 4 hours
baking time 25 to 30 minutes Servings: 6
best with mixed vegetable medley
- 6 large boneless, skinless chicken-breast halves
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 12 ounces mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons port wine, optional
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 (17 1/4-ounce) package frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 large egg, separated
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon milk
How to Make Chicken Wellington
- 1Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Melt half the butter in large skillet over medium heat. Cook half the chicken until golden, 6 minutes, turning once. Transfer to clean plate. Cook remaining chicken; cool.
Melt remaining butter in skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and onion. Cook and stir about 5 minutes. Add wine, if desired, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Simmer until liquid evaporates, stirring often, 10 minutes; cool.
Roll pastry to two 15 × 12-inch rectangles. Cut each into 12 × 5-inch strips. Cut corners from pastry and cut into decorative shapes. Beat egg white; brush over pastry. Place a chicken breast lengthwise at one end of each strip. Spread mustard over chicken; top with mushroom mix. Fold pastry over top. Fold bottom pastry edge up over top; seal. Place on ungreased baking sheet. Decorate with pastry shapes. Mix egg yolk with milk; brush over pastry. Cover loosely with plastic wrap. Chill until cold, 1 to 4 hours.
Preheat oven to 400°F. Remove plastic wrap. Bake until golden brown and chicken is 170°F, about 25 to 30 minutes.