Chicken & Veggie Stuft Shells
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 2 large
- chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 1/2 c
- greek yogurt, plain
- 3 Tbsp
- italian seasoning
- 3 tsp
- garlic powder
- 1 c
- cottage cheese, lowfat
- 2 1/2 c
- mozzarella cheese, low-fat, shredded
- 1 small
- onion, yellow, chopped
- 1/2 c
- mushrooms, fresh, diced
- 1/2 medium
- red bell pepper, diced
- 2 Tbsp
- tomato paste
- 1/2 c
- crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp
- red pepper flakes
- 1 box
- jumbo pasta shells, cooked, drained
How to Make Chicken & Veggie Stuft Shells
- 1Place chicken breast in gallon zipoloc baggie add 1/4 C greek yogurt (half), 1T italian seasoning & 1 tsp garlic powder let marinade in fridge for 15-30 minutes.
- 2Place the chicken on baking sheet coated with nonstick spray. Bake for 20-30 minutes until clear juices run through. Set aside to cool and cut into a small dice.
- 3Meanwhile bring large stock pot of salted water to a boil and cook jumbo shell pasta until al dente according to package instructions. Drain and rinse.
- 4Filling: in large mixing bowl combine 1/4 C greek yogurt, 1 C cottage cheese, 1 1/2 C shredded cheese, 1T italian seasoning, 1tsp garlic powder. Then add cooled chicken.
- 5Saute in skillet 1 T olive oil, diced yellow onion, mushroom & red bell pepper until soft. Add tomato paste, chicken stock or white wine, remainder of garlic powder and italian seasoning, red pepper flake and large can crushed tomatoes. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- 6dish up 3/4C of the sauce and refrigerate until cooled and add to filling mixture (this step avoids melting the cheese)
Spoon filling into each of the jumbo shells 1/2 full then top with mozzarella cheese.
- 7Spray large nonstick casserole or foil pan with nonstick cooking spray, Spoon 2-3T sauce into bottom of the casserole dish.
Place filled shells into casserole dish and top each with sauce. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese.
- 8Cover shells with foil and bake @ 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbling.
This makes 2 pans of shells (approximately 40)