Chicken, Veal or Pork Schnitzel
2 lbboneless, skinless chicken breast halves, or thin-cut boneless pork loin chops, or thin-cut boneless veal chops or cutlets
·salt and freshley ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 call-purpose flour
1splash of milk or cream, beaten into
2eggs beaten (with the splash of milk or cream)
2 cplain bread crumbs
1 tspfreshly ground nutmeg
·vegetable oil for frying
·lemon wedges, for serving
How to Make Chicken, Veal or Pork Schnitzel
- If using the chicken, butterfly each breast and place between wax paper. For pork, place chops several inches apart between wax paper. For veal, if you have large, thin-cut pieces, use as is. If the veal is more than 1/4 inch thick, place between wax paper. Pound the meat until very thin.
- Season the meat with salt and pepper and dust in the flour.
- Beat the eggs and milk or cream in a large shallow dish.
- Combine the bread crumbs with the nutmeg and more salt and pepper and place on a large plate.
- Coat the meat in egg, then in crumbs.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium to med-high heat with just enough oil in it to thinly coat the bottom of the pan. When the oil gets wavy looking, add the meat in a single layer and cook until golden on each side, about 3 minutes each. Transfer meat to a plate and repeat, if necessary.
- Serve the schnitzels with lemon wedges.