3boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 mediumwhite onion
1 mediumgreen bell pepper
1 mediumred or yellow bell pepper
1 Tbsphomemade creole seasoning (HOMEMADE CREOLE SEASONING (SALLYE)
1 can(s)hunts pasta sauce with garlic & herbs
1 can(s)petite diced tomatoes (14-16 ounce size)
1 tspeach salt & ground black pepper
1 largebay leaf
2 Tbspolive oil
16 ozpenne or other pasta
·water (see instructions for amount)
How to Make CREOLE CHICKEN CACCIATORE (SALLYE)
- Place the following in food processor and pulse until diced:
onion, peeled & quartered
green and red or yellow pepper, seeded and deveined cut into quarters
celery, cut into 2" lengths
- Cut chicken into bite size chunks and rub well with salt and pepper
- Heat oil on medium high heat in cast iron or other heavy large skillet. If you don't have a large skillet, use a heavy dutch oven.
When oil is hot, place onions, peppers, and celery in oil.
Cook for about 3 minutes, stirring frequently to avoid burning
- Add chicken cubes to vegetables and continue cooking, stirring frequently until chicken is lightly browned on all sides
- Add pasta sauce and tomatoes to mixture in skillet.
Also add 1 pasta can of water and 1 tomato can of water
Then add creole seasoning, bay leaf and mix well.
Turn heat down to simmer
- Cook at barely simmering for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Taste and add more creole seasoning if not spicy enough
- Continue cooking for 15 more minutes; add more water if needed
During last 15 minutes, cook pasta according to package directions except for 3 minutes less
- Drain pasta, add to chicken and mix well.
Turn off heat and allow to stand for 5 minutes
Pasta will continue to cook and absorb some of the sauce.