Photo is my own.
- 1 1/2
- pounds chicken thigh meat, fat removed, diced
- tablespoons coconut oil for frying chicken
- tablespoons olive oil for frying taco shells or use pre-made.
- cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 1/2
- tablespoons minced garlic
- tablespoons gebhardt's chili powder
- teaspoons ground cumin
- teaspoon dried oregano
- teaspoon salt
- teaspoon pepper
- cup green enchilada sauce
- cup soft raisins
- 4 to 6
- corn tortillas
- cup grated cheddar, asiago, or jack cheese
- cup chopped green onions
- avocado, diced
- cup diced tomatoes
- cup shredded lettuce
How to Make CHICKEN TACOS
- 1PREPARE THE CHICKEN:
Dice the raw chicken into small pieces. Set aside in the fridge.
- 2PREPARE THE GARNISHES:
Grate the cheese. Chop the green onions. Dice the avocado and the tomatoes, and shred the lettuce. Set aside.
- 3COOK THE GARLIC AND ONION:
In a cast iron pan on medium high heat, melt the coconut oil. Add the garlic, stirring a few seconds, then add the yellow onion, and cook 2 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon, and set aside.
- 4COOK THE CHICKEN:
Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Place in the hot pan and cook chicken 3 minutes, then add the chili powder, cumin, oregano and stir to mix. Add the onions back to the pan, and add the enchilada sauce, turn to low and simmer 10 minutes.
- 5PREPARE THE TACO SHELLS:
While the chicken is simmmering, cook the shells however you like them. In a medium skillet, Fry the shells in olive oil. (Coconut oil makes them tough) Drain on paper towels and keep warm.
- 6FINISHING UP:
Ater simmering 12 minutes, the chicken should be done and the sauce reduced. The chicken should be very moist, but not overly saucy. Add the raisins if they are soft. If not, place the raisins in 2 tablespoons of water in the microwave and zap about 30 seconds and that will soften them. Serve on precooked taco shells. Assemble with meat first, cheese, then add the garnishes you desire. Enjoy!
- 7COOK'S TIP: Additional garnishes: sour cream, chopped olives, chopped radishes, jalapenos, pico de gallo or any of your favorites. Enjoy!