3boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 mediumyellow onion, diced
1-8 ozsliced mushrooms
1 can(s)cream of mushroom soup
1-8 ozsour cream
1-8 oz pkgshredded sharp cheddar cheese
1-12 oz pkgwide egg noodles
How to Make Chicken Stroganoff
- In a dutch oven, bring water to a boil. Add chicken breasts and cook till done, about 15 minutes.
- While chicken breasts are cooking, go ahead and cook your egg noodles according to package directions for al dente. Drain and run under cold water to stop cooking, set aside.
- Drain chicken and cut into bite sized pieces, set aside.
- In the same dutch oven you cooked the chicken in, add butter, melt, then add diced onions and sliced mushrooms then cook till tender.
- Add chicken and stir till chicken and onions are mixed well.
- Add sour cream and cream of mushroom soup. Stir into chicken mixture.
- Add cooked egg noodles and 1/2 of the bag of shredded cheddar cheese.
- If mixture is too dry, you may slowly add chicken broth till it's the way you like it. At times, I have added some cream of chicken soup if I'm not going to serve it right away and stick it in the oven to keep warm.
- Spoon into baking dish and top with remaining cheese. Pop into 350 degree oven till cheese is melted.
- If you are going to keep it in the oven to stay warm till serving time, you may want to cover it with foil or a lid. This is great served with a salad or steamed broccoli.