Chicken & STEAMED Dumpings
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 1 chicken or chicken parts
- 2 boxes + or - 2 cans chicken broth or stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tbsp wondra flour + save a bit of cold broth to mix as below
- 1/3 c milk
- 1 c bisquick
- 1 stick melted butter or margarine
- optional: can add 1-3 envelopes of lipton's cream of chicken cup of soup mix
- optional: 1 tbs herbes de provence-( i do both of these-but they were not in thhe original recipe)
- (my mom did use the lipton soup mix later in her life-i do it for sure now)
How to Make Chicken & STEAMED Dumpings
- 1Chicken & Dumplings by Grandma Schlueter:
1. Cover one chicken (or chicken parts-whatever you have will work) with chicken broth or water-Stew for about 1-1½ hours.
2. Remove chicken-allow to cool-save broth (Also save some cold broth to mix with Wondra (or fine sifted flour for thickening).
3. Remove chicken from bones-place chunks back into broth.
4. Thicken with 4 TBSP Wondra flour with ½ Cup cold broth-whisk w/fork or whisk until no lumps-add to broth & chicken. (May have to add a bit more if not thickening)
5. Heat and stir until thickened.
6. Serve over steamed dumplings-OK to freeze leftovers in freezer bags/containers for later meals.
A. Mix 1/3 Cup milk to 1 Cup Bisquick-mix with fork-put onto floured cutting board
B. Cut into squares or circles-Dip into melted butter-cooled
C. Place in steamer with water below-not too close to dumplings
D. Steam for10-15 minutes-or until fork comes out clean
PS- I always serve these with fresh or frozen peas