Chicken "Sling It"
12 1/2 to 3 pound whole chicken
1 mediumonion, diced
1 mediumred pepper, diced
1 can(s)green chiles, drained
1 can(s)mushrooms, sliced
1 lbcheddar cheese, shredded
1 pkgburrito sized flour tortillas
1 can(s)14 oz enchilada sauce
2chicken bouillon cubes
2diced chipotle chiles in adobe sauce diced, optional
1 Tbspvegetable oil
How to Make Chicken "Sling It"
- place chicken and bouillon cubes in a dutch oven and cover with water. Simmer until chicken is done between an hour and an hour and a half. Remove chicken to a cookie sheet with raised edges and let cool about 30 minutes. Reserve the broth to dip the tortillas in.
- While chicken is cooling in a medium pan cook onions and peppers in vegetable oil until tender about 10 minutes.
- Once chicken has cooled, remove chicken from bone, discarding fat as well and place in a large mixing bowl. Cut any large pieces down to bite sized. Add onions and peppers, drained mushrooms, and diced green chiles. At this point i add a little salt and pepper to taste. Add a ladle of the broth to moisten the chicken mixture.
- Open the enchilada sauce and add the chipotle chiles and stir to combine.
- Now you are ready to assemble this bad boy!
Pour have of the enchilada sauce in your casserole dish. Dip a tortilla in the broth and place in the dish over the sauce. Spoon a forth of the chicken mixture over the tortilla. Repeat with the tortilla and then the chicken mixture. Add another dipped tortilla. At this point add half of the shredded cheese then repeat the process with the dipped tortilla and chicken ending with a dipped tortilla on top. Pour remaining enchilada sauce over the top and then the shredded cheese. Bake covered 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes.