Chicken, Sausage and Peppers
2 Tbspunsalted butter
3/4 lbsweet or hot italian sausage, cut into chunks
3/4 lbskinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
·kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1 Tbspall-purpose flour
1small onion, chopped
2italian green frying peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
3cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1 1/4 clow-sodium chicken broth
1/4 croughly chopped fresh parsley
2jarred pickled cherry peppers, chopped, plus 2 tablespoons liquid from the jar
How to Make Chicken, Sausage and Peppers
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the sausage until golden, about 2 minutes. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, then toss with the flour in a bowl; add to the skillet and cook until browned but not cooked through, about 3 minutes.
- Add the onion, peppers, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste and cook 3 minutes. Add 1 cup of the chicken broth, scraping up any browned bits; bring to a boil and cook until slightly reduced, about 1 minute. Add the rest of the broth and bring to a gentle simmer. Cover and cook until the sausage and chicken are cooded through, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken, sausage and vegetables to a platter with a slotted spoon. Increase the heat to high and stir the parsley and cherry peppers and their liquid into the skillet; boil until reduced by one-third, 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Pour the sauce over the chicken mixture.
- Note: This recipe calls for Italian frying peppers. I have no idea what they are and found nothing at the grocery store that appeared to be Italian. So, I bought a couple of other green peppers and used them. They had a little heat and worked great. So, I would say use what you can find.
- Note 2: This is great by itself but was also great with linguine. Next time I may try it with rice. Use your imagination and make it a great meal.