Chicken, Sausage and Okra Gumbo
I selected a recipe that sounded about right, and then went and defrosted sausage when I needed chicken.
So I defrosted the chicken too and used both!
6 Tbspbacon drippings
1 largeyellow onions
1 largegreen bell pepper
2 lbfresh okra
1 can(s)petite diced tomatoes, 28 ounces
1/4 cchicken bouillon granules
4 cchopped, precooked chicken
1 pkgsmoked sausage
1 tspsalt (if needed, taste first)
2 tspcreole seasoning
1/2 tspground white pepper
1 largebay leaf
·lots of rice to go with!
How to Make Chicken, Sausage and Okra Gumbo
- Chop the onion and bell pepper in a food processor/mini chopper.
Slice the okra into 1/4 inch slices, discarding tips and stem ends.
Slice the sausage into bite sized pieces.
- Heat bacon drippings in a large cast iron skillet (with lid) over medium heat for 5-6 minutes.
- Once bacon drippings are hot, saute the onion and bell pepper until tender, 5-6 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, juice and all, the water, chicken bouillon granules, sugar, creole seasoning, white pepper and bay leaf. Taste for salt. If needed, add the salt.
Stir in the okra, chicken and sausage.
- Cover the pan and let simmer for 2 hours, stirring every 3 minutes, adding more water as necessary.