Chicken Pot Pie
·water to almost cover chicken about 5 cups
1chicken bullion cube per cup of water
1 bag(s)mixed vegetables, frozen
3/4 call purpose flour
2 tspherbes de provence
2 tsppoultry seasoning
2double pie crust dough (4 total)
·black pepper to taste
How to Make Chicken Pot Pie
- Rinse off chicken and make sure the giblet bag is out. Place in a large stock pot. Add water to almost cover chicken (about 5-6 cups) Add 1 bullion cube (or 1 teaspoon chicken base) to pot. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer until chicken is cooked and tender. (around 40 minutes)
- Carefully take chicken out of broth...reserving the broth. Let chicken drain and cool enough to remove meat. Cut chicken meat into bite size pieces. Set chicken meat aside.
- Pour 5 cups of reserved broth that chicken was cooking in, aside in a large bowl. In the same stock pot, add butter and melt making sure not to burn it. Add flour and blend constantly until a nice even creamy mixture.Stir over low heat for an additional minute to take out any taste of flour. (this is the roux)
- Slowly add reserved 5 cups of chicken stock to roux,stirring constantly until liquid thickens about 8 minutes or so.
- Add thawed vegetables, spices to taste and chicken meat. If it seems to be too thin, do not worry, it will continue cooking in the oven.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Optional preparation: You can always used cooked chicken and store bought broth and dough, but you will miss out on just how good it is when made from scratch.