★★★★★ 1 vote5
- whole chicken, cut into pieces, (or use 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts)
- 1 c
- all purpose flour
- 1/3 c
- plain or seasoned bread crumbs
- salt & pepper to taste (seasoning in flour dredge)
- 2 c
- cooking oil (i use canola)
- 1 can(s)
- (16 ounce) tomato sauce
- 1 medium
- onion, coarsely chopped
- bell pepper (green, red, yellow..any color) sliced in 1/2 inch slices
- water (as needed)
How to Make Chicken Portuguese
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut chicken into pieces, or use boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Mix together the flour, bread crumbs and salt & pepper in a paper bag and shake the chicken pieces, coating with the flour mixture.
- 2Heat oil in a frying pan, place chicken pieces in oil and fry on med-high temperature on both sides until a nice medium-brown and chicken is almost completely cooked through. Remove from hot oil and place on paper towels to soak up excess oil.
- 3In a covered baking dish, place the chicken pieces to make them fit. Pour on top the tomato sauce. Add onion & bell pepper, placing on top. Put in preheated oven and bake 45 minutes, covered. While cooking, you may add some water if the gravy gets too thick. Thin it to whatever thickness you desire.
- 4Remove from oven and transfer chicken pieces onto a serving plate. Scrape the bottom of the baking dish and pour all the gravy in a bowl to serve hot at the table. Since this makes a sumptuous gravy, you may wish to make some mashed potatoes. Make good use of this delicious gravy!! Once again, add a bit if water of the gravy has thickened too much.
- 5Bon Apetit' Y'all!!