CHICKEN & PORK TAMALES
- 1 or 2
- fresh picnic hams( the amount depends on how many you want to make
- 20 lb
- chicken (i use thighs)
- 1 lb
- dried ancho peppers
- 4 to 6 c
- tomatillo / jalapeno sauce
- onions (1 for pork, 1 for chicken)
- green peppers (1 for pork, 1 for chicken)
- 1 c
- chopped cilantro 1/2 cup for pork , 1/2 cup for chicken
- 10 clove
- garlic 5 for pork, 5 for chicken
- 1 tsp
- each, adobo powder,cumin, salt, pepper
- 3 pkg
- 2 Tbsp
- 1/2 c
- 1 can(s)
- tomato sauce
- corn husks or parchment paper for wrap
- 6 c
- 3/4 c
- 1 1/2 tsp
- baking powder
- 2 tsp
How to Make CHICKEN & PORK TAMALES
- 1simmer chicken in one pot and pork in another, and add onion, green pepper, garlic, cilantro, adobo, cumin, salt & pepper to each pan.
- 2simmer chicken till done remove from pan , cool , shred and remove fat, skin and bones, set aside, keep the broth.
- 3simmer pork about 4 hours till very tender, remove from pan shred pork, set aside. keep the broth. Mix chicken and pork together, set aside.
- 4rinse ancho peppers put in a large pot and fill with water, bring to a boil and simmer about 1/2 an hour, till peppers are soft. remove from heat and let cool.
- 5when peppers have cooled ,tear pepper open and remove stem and seeds ,put peppers in food processor and set aside. Strain seeds from the water ancho peppers cooked in, reserving the water. add about 2 or 3 cups of ancho water to food processor and process till smooth, you can add more water if needed. set aside. reserve 2 or 3 tbs for the masa.
- 6heat a large pan add 3 tbs oil and heat oil and add about half a cup of sofrito and a small can of tomatoe sauce , about 1/2 tsp adobo powder and 1 pack sazon. cook 2 or 3 minutes, add ancho paste , 1/2 tsp cumin and 2 tbs salt, add 4 to 6 cups of tomatillo/ jalapeno sauce. cook 5 minutes stirring constantly.
- 9to make masa : in a large bowl beat lard for 1 minute,add 2 or 3 tbs of ancho paste, mix well. in a separate bowl mix together masa , baking powder and salt. alternating add masa and broth to lard beating well after each addition, add just enough broth to make a thick creamy paste,(about consistency of thick peanut butter) add broth just a little at a time.