Chicken Pie (Not with Vegetables, except onions)
I have made it regularly over the last thirty-nine years (WOW that’s a long time!!). It was my son’s favorite chicken pie until he became a vegetarian about 12 years ago. Now, I make a vegetable version for him. I will post my "Never-Fail" pie crust recipe or you can use an already prepared one;love a good crust
- chicken (fryer). i use 4-5 large chicken breasts
- 1 can(s)
- cream of chicken soup
- 1/4 c
- onion, chopped
- large, boiled eggs, chopped
- 2 Tbsp
- margarien or butter
- salt and pepper, to taste
- chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 ready-made pie crusts (or use never-fail pie crust recipe -posted with my recipes.)
IT IS HARD TO BELIEVE THAT A CHICKEN PIE WITH SO FEW INGREDIENTS AND SO EASY TO MAKE IS THIS DELICIOUS!
How to Make Chicken Pie (Not with Vegetables, except onions)
- 1Simmer chicken in water with bouillon cubes, salt and pepper*. (Have water almost to top of chicken.) Cook until meat falls off bones; let cool and de-bone.
*If you desire, you can cook the chicken ahead of time and refrigerate or freeze and thaw before putting the pie all together.
- 2Cover bottom of casserole dish with pastry (I use a 13"x8"x2" baking pan,). Put in chicken and liquid.
* I usually bake the bottom crust about 7-10 minutes before adding the chicken and liquid -this assures the crust is done and won't be soggy or gummy.
- 3Top with sliced boiled eggs*, chopped onions, salt and pepper. Pour chicken soup over this, and top with pats of butter.
*Some people don’t like boiled eggs. These can be left out without hindering the flavor.
- 4Put rest of pastry on top and press along sides to bottom crust. Prick top of crust with fork. Cook about 1 hour at 375 degrees.
- 8NOTE: You can use any crust for the pie; however, I always use my Never-Fail Pie Crust (I'll post it.)for this recipe, as well as for other pies. It is very easy, flaky and really makes the pie. It makes 5 regular sized pie crusts (It will take 3/5 of the recipe -3 crusts for this large pie). Your can refrigerate or freeze the left over crusts until you are ready to use them.