Chicken(or Turkey) and Dumplings
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 1 1/2-2 lb
- chicken or turkey leg quarters
- celery stalks, with leaves, if possible(they add a lot of flavor!)
- fresh carrots, peeled
- large white onion
- 1 can(s)
- chicken broth
- onion salt
- bisquick dumplings as prepared on the box
How to Make Chicken(or Turkey) and Dumplings
- 1Take dutch oven and place chicken inside. Fill with water until it covers the poultry. Season water with onion salt and pepper(not too much because you can always add more later). Turn on med-hi and cover.
- 2Boil chicken until it starts to fall off the bone. Remove chicken from water(broth) and set aside to cool.
- 3You may need to add a some water at this point because the broth will reduce as it cooks. (I added about a cup and a half) Add as you feel necessary, but don't over-do it and dilute the flavor.
- 4Cut up celery stalks(and leaves), carrots and onions and place in simmering chicken broth with the can of chicken broth. Cover and cook until tender.
- 5While veggies are cooking, pull cooled chicken off of the bone and tear into bite sized pieces, removing gristle, skin, and fat as you go. Set aside.
- 6When veggies are tender, add cooked chicken and let simmer about ten minutes.
- 7Mix dumpling according to box. Set Aside.
- 8After about ten minutes, taste broth. Add more onion salt or pepper to taste.
- 9Reduce heat to medium or med-lo(keep at a simmer). Drop heaping tablespoons fulls of dumpling batter on top of broth. Cook uncovered for ten minutes, then cook covered for ten minutes.
- 10Remove from heat and let cool a few minutes.