Chicken Noodle Casserole
2 largechicken breasts, whole
10 ozegg noodles, wide
1 can(s)each: cream of mushroom, cream of celery, cream of chicken
1/2 csour cream
1/8 cchicken broth
1 pkgthawed, frozen mixed veggies
1stalk of celery, finely diced
·salt, pepper, poultry seasoning
1/2 stickmelted butter
10crackers (ritz), crushed
How to Make Chicken Noodle Casserole
- You can JUST cook your chicken however you prefer, and even use boneless skinless if you like. However, I prefer the flavor from roasting chicken breasts w/ the skin on. I bake in chicken broth with celery, large onion pieces, some lemon slices, parsley, & season w/ salt & pepper & poultry seasoning. I usually do this a few hours before I am going to make the casserole & then let it cool. Cut in large, bite-sized chunks.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook egg noodles. I like to cook w/ a whole onion, chicken bouillon, & parsley for flavor. Don't overcook, as you will be baking them. Drain. Add some butter to the egg noodles & salt & pepper to keep them soft.
- While the noodles are cooking, in a large mixing bowl, mix the cans of cream of (your preference) soup. I like using the trio of each, but you can use 3 cans of cream of chicken, for example, if you prefer. Mix in the sour cream, a little chicken broth (I just use from the drippings), milk. Sometimes I add a splash of white wine just because. :)
- Make sure your mixed veggies are thawed & VERY well drained. Mix them & the diced celery into the cream soup blend. Add the noodles to this. Then, add the chicken, stirring well. (This is why you want to be sure your noodles have some texture to them & are not overcooked, or it will get mushy.)
- Spoon all of this into a large baking dish or casserole. Sprinkle w/ salt & black pepper. Mix the crushed crackers & melted butter & then sprinkle over the casserole evenly.
- Bake at 350 degrees about 20 minutes covered, and 10 more minutes uncovered. I hope you enjoy!