Chicken n' Dumplins
Martha Ray Deen
★★★★★ 1 vote5
BROTH AND BASE
3 largechicken breasts, whole (or 4 med.)
1 mediumcarrot, chopped
2 mediumcelery stalks, chopped
1 mediumonion, chopped
7chicken bouillon cubes
2 tspblack pepper (more or less to taste)
2 tspsalt (leave out the salt if your bouillon is salty)
4 call purpose flour, sifted
4 1/2 Tbspbaking powder
2 tspbaking soda
5/8 cmargarine (or softened butter or crisco)
1 3/4 cmilk (or 2% milk, not skim)
How to Make Chicken n' Dumplins
- Put all of the broth items into enough water in a large stockpot to thoroughly cover the ingredients with about 2 inches of water over them (7-9 cups water). Cook on high to medium high long enough to cook the chicken breasts thoroughly without overcooking. (about 20 minutes of full on boiling)...
- Meanwhile, start to make the dumplings.
This recipe will allow for about 20 biscuits or enough for 6-8 biscuits and dough for dumplings.
- Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl or food processor. Cut the butter/margarine into bits and either pulse it in the food processor or rub the margarine and flour mixture between your palms until it crumbles and falls into very small pieces. All the margarine/butter should be completely mixed in before adding milk. Add milk in half portions and mix together just until a ball forms.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead it TEN times...no more than that. Add flour to your surface if the dough is sticking, but don't knead it too much.
- Roll out the dough to 1/2 inch thick and cut out 6-8 biscuits by using a biscuit cutter or a 2" rimmed glass. (Cut biscuits from one section of the rolled-out dough, there will be a lot of dough left)
Put these onto a non-greased pan and set aside. Roll the remaining dough out pretty thin (about 1/4") for the dumplings and cut them into 1 inch squares using a floured butter knife or a pizza cutter (easiest).
Let the prepared dumplings sit, waiting for you to get the broth ready.
- Set oven to 450 degrees, allowing it to preheat.
- Now, back to your cooked chicken stock.....Remove the chicken breasts from the stock and return stock to the stove. Allow breasts to cool enough to handle. Remove all meat and cut/shred into bite-portions, putting these into a bowl to be added back to the stock after the dumplings are done.
- Turn stockpot temp to high-medium high, until you get a nice strong boil. Add dumplings (about 10 at a time) and stir as they start to plump up. Continue adding 10 at a time, then stirring, to keep the dumplings cooking. After you've added the last of the dumplings and stirred, cover your pot and let it cook at medium high for 3-4 minutes longer. (This will take some time to add all of the dumplings)
Add in the cut/shredded chicken and turn temperature to low, cooking 15 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Turn off heat completely and allow The dumplings will continue to cook as the pot gets to "eating temperature".
- Now, with your oven set to 450 degrees, cook the biscuits for 7-9 minutes until nice golden on the tops.