13 1/2 ozcoconut milk
4 ozmassaman curry paste
2 1/2 lbchicken pieces (preferably flat, like thighs or boneless breasts)
1 lbpeeled and cubed potatoes
8 ozyellow or white pearl onions
3 Tbspfish sauce
2 Tbsptamarind paste
3 Tbsppalm or brown sugar
1/3 cpeanuts, dry roasted, coarsely chopped
How to Make Chicken Massaman Curry
- Prepare rice according to package directions.
- Scoop the cream from the top 3/4 cup of the coconut milk and put it in a large heavy bottom pot along with the curry paste. Heat until bubbly and the fat separates from the coconut.
- Add the chicken and stir to coat with the curry paste. Add remaining coconut milk and enough water to just cover the meat.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer covered until the meat
- is almost tender (probably an hour for chicken).
Add potatoes and onions with about 2 tablespoons of fish sauce. Cook until vegetables are tender.
- Season with tamarind, sugar, and fish sauce until you achieve the desired balance.
- Add peanuts and serve over Jasmine rice.