- jasmine rice
- 13 1/2 oz
- coconut milk
- 4 oz
- massaman curry paste
- 2 1/2 lb
- chicken pieces (preferably flat, like thighs or boneless breasts)
- 1 lb
- peeled and cubed potatoes
- 8 oz
- yellow or white pearl onions
- 3 Tbsp
- fish sauce
- 2 Tbsp
- tamarind paste
- 3 Tbsp
- palm or brown sugar
- 1/3 c
- peanuts, dry roasted, coarsely chopped
How to Make Chicken Massaman Curry
- 1Prepare rice according to package directions.
- 2Scoop the cream from the top 3/4 cup of the coconut milk and put it in a large heavy bottom pot along with the curry paste. Heat until bubbly and the fat separates from the coconut.
- 3Add the chicken and stir to coat with the curry paste. Add remaining coconut milk and enough water to just cover the meat.
- 4Bring to a boil, then simmer covered until the meat
- 5is almost tender (probably an hour for chicken).
Add potatoes and onions with about 2 tablespoons of fish sauce. Cook until vegetables are tender.
- 6Season with tamarind, sugar, and fish sauce until you achieve the desired balance.
- 7Add peanuts and serve over Jasmine rice.