Chicken Marsala with Brown Butter Pasta
Calories per serving: too many to count
Fat per serving: I'd rather not know
- chicken breasts
- 1 lb
- mushrooms, sliced
- 2 bunch
- green onions, chopped
- 1 c
- 1/4 tsp
- 3/4 tsp
- 1 dash(es)
- 2 1/2 stick
- 4 Tbsp
- vegatable oil, divided
- 1 c
- dry marsala wine
- 2 c
- chicken broth
- salt - to taste
- 1/2 c
- parmisiano reggiano or myzithra cheese
- 1 lb
- pasta - i used angel hair pasta
How to Make Chicken Marsala with Brown Butter Pasta
- 1Rinse, trim fat, and pound to 1/2 inch each chicken breast. Slice into cutlets and set aside.
- 2Melt 1/2 stick of butter and 2 Tbsp vegetable oil in a large skillet. Heat over medium-high until butter is melted. Add mushrooms and green onions. Saute over medium-high heat until water is cooked out of mushrooms and they are starting to brown. Remove from pan and set aside.
- 3Add another 1/2 stick of butter to the pan. Try not to cringe. Add more oil if necessary. The oil helps the butter not to burn. Also start your large pot of boiling water for the pasta at this point.
- 4Combine flour, marjoram, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Lightly coat chicken breasts in flour and place in a single layer in frying pan over medium heat. Allow to brown on both sides. Remove and repeat with remaining breast cutlets. Remove all when done, leaving behind the butter and brown bits in the pan. It is okay if there is a bit of pink in the middle. They will cook more in the sauce at the end.
- 5Add Marsala and let simmer for approximately 1 minute. Add chicken broth. Stir to combine and add in mushroom/onion mixture and chicken breasts. Stir a bit and then let simmer over medium-low heat. Cook until sauce is thickened, approximately 20 minutes.
- 6While your sauce is simmering and thickening is the time to start your brown butter. In a small pot melt 1/2 stick of butter over medium heat. Don't touch it, but watch it carefully. It will start to bubble, foam, and under that foam it will start to brown. Brown well, removing from heat just before you think it'll burn. If you under-brown it you end up with greasy pasta. If you brown it well you end up with little bites of heaven.
- 7When pasta is done, drain well and toss with browned butter and grated parmigiano reggiano or myzithra cheese.
- 8Place your chicken on top of your pasta. Spoon some of the sauce with the mushrooms and scallions over the chicken. Eat without guilt knowing that your are going to do some sort of exercise the next two weeks for eating this heavenly dish. Enjoy!