1hen about 6 lbs, or 2 broilers
3stalks of celery
1 conion, diced
1 ccelery, diced
·salt and pepper to taste
1 crice, cooked
2 cfresh bread crumbs (may use a mix of white bread and cornbread)
1 cpimento, chopped
3 cchicken broth
How to Make Chicken Loaf
- Cover chicken with water and add carrot, onion, celery stalks and salt & pepper to taste. Let simmer until done and cool in broth.
- De-bone chicken and combine meat with remainder of ingredients.
- Put mixture into a greased 13" x 9" x2" baking dish and bake in a 350 degree F oven for 1 hour.
- Let set for 10-15 minutes, then cut into squares and serve with the following sauce:
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup butter
1 can cream of mushroom soup
2 cups chicken broth
dash of lemon
Combine flour, butter, soup and broth; cook until thick. Add lemon and serve over chicken squares.
- UPDATE: If you want to save time, skip step #1 above and buy the readily available roasted chicken from your grocery store. The downside will be that you will have to replace the very flavorful homemade chicken stock with canned stock. Also experiment with the taste by using your favorite seasoning blend in step #2, e.g., Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning.