- 3 lb
- chicken, cut into serving-size pieces
- 1 stick
- 1/4 c
- 2 Tbsp
- brown sugar
- 1 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp
- 1 1/2 c
- orange juice
- 1/2 c
- oranges, peeled and sectioned
- hot cooked rice
How to Make Chicken in Orange Sauce
- 1Wash chicken pieces, pat dry. Brown slowly in butter in large frying pan. Remove from pan and set aside for Step 3.
- 2Blend flour, brown sugar, salt, ginger and pepper into drippings in pan. Cook, stirring constantly, just until mixture bubbles. Stir in orange juice and water slowly; continue cooking and stirring until sauce thickens and boils for 1 minute; remove from heat.
- 3Return chicken to pan; cool. Cover and chill (you can do this the day before, if you like).
About 45 minutes before serving time, reheat chicken and sauce just to boiling. Then simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Lay orange sections around chicken; continue cooking 15 minutes longer, or until chicken is tender.
Serve with rice.