Chicken in Coconut Milk with Lemongrass
The pan sauce is great served over a side of steamed white rice.
With the scallions, I used only the dark green part for the garnish, and I tossed the remaining 1 inch (or so) white and pale green part in the pan for added flavor during roasting.
- 3 to 4 lb
- chicken (fryer pieces or whole roasting chicken, your choice)
- 2 to 3 tsp
- sea salt
- 2 to 3 tsp
- black pepper
- 2 Tbsp
- 1 Tbsp
- olive oil
- cinnamon stick
- whole star anise
- 1/2 c
- cilantro stems, roughly chopped
- 1 medium
- lemon, juiced and zested
- 1 stalk(s)
- lemongrass, 5 inches of white party only, chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
- 6 clove
- garlic, peeled and crushed
- 14 ir 16 oz
- can coconut milk
- 3 c
- torn greens (spinach, kale, chard, etc)
- green onions (scallions), chopped
- chopped cilantro (for garnish)
- cooked rice, to serve
How to Make Chicken in Coconut Milk with Lemongrass
- 1Preheat the oven to 375°F. Pat the chicken dry and season it liberally with salt and pepper.
- 2On the stove-top, melt the butter in a large oven-proof Dutch oven or roasting pan over medium heat, then add the oil. Put the chicken pieces in the pan and let sizzle for about 30 seconds. Turn chicken pieces and crisp the other side for another 30 seconds. Remove the pan from the heat, put the chicken on a plate, and pour out fat from the pot.
- 3Transfer the chicken back into the pot (or transfer chicken to oven-proof baking dish), and add the cinnamon stick, star anise, chopped cilantro stems, lemon juice, lemon zest, lemongrass, garlic, and coconut milk. Roast, uncovered, in the preheated oven for 60 to 90 minutes (depending on size). Spoon the sauce over the top of the bird to baste every 20 minutes or so. The chicken is done when an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thigh reads 165°F.
- 4Remove chicken from the pot and put it on a plate. Pull out and discard the cinnamon stick and star anise.
- 5Place pot with the sauce back on the stovetop over medium heat, add the spinach and stir until just wilted, about 10 seconds.
- 6Serve chicken pieces over hot steamed rice, with pan sauce spooned over the top. Garnish with chopped scallions and cilantro leaves, and serve hot.