Chicken In a Cloud
- 3 1/2 c
- hot mashed potatoes
- 2 c
- cooked cubed chicken (3 boneless skinless chicken breast)
- 16 oz
- package frozen mixed vegetables, thawed and drained
- 10 3/4 oz
- can cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 c
- sour cream
- 2 Tbsp
- minced onion flakes (or snipped fresh chives)
- 1/2 tsp
- dry mustard (or 2-3 tsp dijon mustard)
- 1/4 tsp
- garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp
- ground black pepper
- 2 c
- shredded sharp cheddar cheese
How to Make Chicken In a Cloud
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Butter a 13 by 9 inch shallow baking dish.
- 3Spread hot mashed potatoes evenly across the bottom of the baking dish, coming up the sides somewhat to create a shell.
- 4In a large bowl, stir together the chicken, vegetables, soup, sour cream, onion or chives, mustard, garlic, and pepper.
- 5Spread the chicken mixture on top of the mashed potatoes, and sprinkle evenly with the shredded cheese.
- 6Bake uncovered for 45 minutes (or bake for about 1 hour if made ahead and refrigerated), until cheese is melted and casserole is hot and bubbly.
- 7Remove casserole from the oven, let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- 8Good served with warm buttered biscuits.
- 9Note: This casserole is even more over-the-top awesome made with a breadcrumb or stuffing topping. Assemble the casserole as directed, reserving the grated cheese. During the last 30 minutes of baking, top casserole with 1-2 cups freshly torn soft breadcrumbs (or stuffing mix), seasoned with a pinch of poultry seasoning and a few dashes of celery seeds. Drizzle with 2-3 tablespoons of melted butter, and then top with the grated cheese. Bake until topping is lightly browned and casserole is hot and bubbling. Extra yummy!