Chicken In a Cloud
3 1/2 chot mashed potatoes
2 ccooked cubed chicken (3 boneless skinless chicken breast)
16 ozpackage frozen mixed vegetables, thawed and drained
10 3/4 ozcan cream of chicken soup
1/2 csour cream
2 Tbspminced onion flakes (or snipped fresh chives)
1/2 tspdry mustard (or 2-3 tsp dijon mustard)
1/4 tspgarlic powder
1/4 tspground black pepper
2 cshredded sharp cheddar cheese
How to Make Chicken In a Cloud
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter a 13 by 9 inch shallow baking dish.
- Spread hot mashed potatoes evenly across the bottom of the baking dish, coming up the sides somewhat to create a shell.
- In a large bowl, stir together the chicken, vegetables, soup, sour cream, onion or chives, mustard, garlic, and pepper.
- Spread the chicken mixture on top of the mashed potatoes, and sprinkle evenly with the shredded cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes (or bake for about 1 hour if made ahead and refrigerated), until cheese is melted and casserole is hot and bubbly.
- Remove casserole from the oven, let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Good served with warm buttered biscuits.
- Note: This casserole is even more over-the-top awesome made with a breadcrumb or stuffing topping. Assemble the casserole as directed, reserving the grated cheese. During the last 30 minutes of baking, top casserole with 1-2 cups freshly torn soft breadcrumbs (or stuffing mix), seasoned with a pinch of poultry seasoning and a few dashes of celery seeds. Drizzle with 2-3 tablespoons of melted butter, and then top with the grated cheese. Bake until topping is lightly browned and casserole is hot and bubbling. Extra yummy!