Chicken Enchilada Casserole
2-3large cooked and shredded chicken breasts
12white corn tortillas
1 can(s)cream of chicken soup, fat-free
1 can(s)rotel tomatoes with green chilies
2 cmexican blend shredded cheese
1 dash(es)adobo powder-to taste
1 can(s)small can jalapeno peppers--or 1-2 fresh roasted chilies peeled and seeded
1/4 cdiced onion
1clove fresh garlic--or garlic powder to taste
1 dash(es)cumin-(have made it without cumin as well--whatever your taste dictates)
·non-stick cooking spray
How to Make Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Shred chicken--you may also use a rotissierie chicken or leftover chicken from the crockpot
- Blend together soup, Rotel, garlic, onion, jalapenos or fresh roasted chilies, cumin, to make a sauce
- Spray the bottom of a 9x9 or similar sized pan with non stick cooking spray. Place 4 tortillas on the bottom of the pan. They may overlap in the center--not to worry-more corn goodness:)
- Place a good layer of chicken on top of the tortillas being sure to cover the whole bottom to the edges.
- Ladle 1/3 of the sauce over the chicken.
- Place 1/3 of the cheese on top of the sauce-covering to edges again. top with 4 more tortillas--again they will overlap in the center.
- Repeat previous steps with chicken,sauce, cheese,tortillas.
- The last layer should be topped with tortillas,sauce,and then cheese.
- Place in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for 35-40 minutes util cheese is bubbly and slightly browned on top. Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes. Serve with beans, rice, chopped lettuce and tomatoes. My friends like a bit of sour cream and cilantro on the side as well. Good eating!