Chicken Divan Casserole1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
1.5 lbchicken breasts, halved and skinless
20 ozbroccoli, frozen
1/4 call purpose flour
1 Tbspall purpose flour
1/2 cevaporated milk
5/8 tspwhite pepper
1/4 cparmesan cheese, grated
How to Make Chicken Divan Casserole
- Place chicken in a dutch oven; add water and *Bouquet Garni (3 sprigs fresh parsley, 1 bay leaf, 6 whole black peppercorns, 1/2 teaspoon dried whole thyme, all enclosed in a double layer of cheesecloth and tied securely).
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until chicken is done.
- Remove chicken and Bouquet Garni from broth, reserving 2 cups broth.
- Discard Bouquet Garni.
- Chill reserved broth, and skim congealed fat from surface.
- Bone and slice chicken; set aside.
- Cook broccoli according the package directions.
- Drain well.
- Arrange broccoli spears crosswise in a 13x9x2" baking dish.
- Set aside.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth.
- Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add reserved broth; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- Remove from heat; stir in milk, sherry, salt, and pepper.
- Pour half of sauce over broccoli and top with chicken slices.
- Add 2 tablespoons cheese to remaining sauce in skillet; stir until well blended, and pour over chicken.
- Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons cheese, and bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until casserole is thoroughly heated and top is golden brown.