It is a recipe given to me by a Coast Guard Cook many years ago. It had to be cut from serving 100 to serving a family of 5 but I don't think I lost much in the conversion. It takes some time to prepare but it is well worth it.
★★★★★ 2 votes5
- chicken boiled and cooled (save the broth to make the gravy)
- 12 slice
- white bread
- 1 stick
- 1 1/2 c
- milk, low-fat
- 1/2 c
- 1/2 tsp
- 1 tsp
- 1 1/2 c
- 4 Tbsp
- chicken bullion (or 4 cubes )
- 2 large
- eggs beaten
- oil for frying
How to Make Chicken Croquettes
- 1Start with the cooled chicken. Remove any skin and bones. Put the chicken into the food processor. Add the onion and celery and pulse until ground.
- 2Melt the butter in a pan and then add flour to make a roux. Then add the milk and salt and pepper to make a cream sauce.
- 3In a blender or food processor make fresh bread crumbs out of the bread. If using a blender only do one slice at a time to prevent it from clogging.
- 4In a large bowl combine 1/2 the bread crumbs all the chicken onion celery mixture and the cream sauce, and mix well. make balls out of the mixture and roll in the beaten egg and then into the reserved 1/2 of fresh bread crumbs
- 5Fry in oil until lightly brown and place on a baking pan in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.
- 6While the croquettes are baking, heat all but 1 cup of the water that the chicken was boiled in until it boils. add about 1/2 cup flour to the reserved cup of water and whisk until well blended. Put the chicken bullion in the boiling water and then add the flour water whisking constantly to make the gravy. Add water if it is too thick and more flour water if too thin. Remove from heat but keep warm.
- 7Serve with Mashed potatoes and gravy and a vegetable for a meal or with the gravy on the side for an appetizer