6chicken breasts, halved, boneless and skinless
1/2 cfresh basil leaves
1/4 cgrated parmesan cheese
1minced garlic clove
1/2 cbutter, room temperature
2/3 cflour seasoned with salt and pepper
1egg, well beaten
3/4 cfine bread crumbs
2 Tbspolive oil
How to Make Chicken Breasts Stuffed with Pesto Butter
- Flatten chicken breasts to 1/8" thickness.
- In a food processor or blender, combine basil, cheese and garlic.
- Mix until a thick paste is formed.
- Add 1/2 cup of butter and blend.
- On a piece of waxed paper or plastic wrap, shape into a 3" square.
- Chill until firm. (To quick chill, place in freezer for 10-20 minutes).
- Slice chilled square into sticks, approximately 1/2-inch wide and three inches long.
- Lay out the flattened chicken breasts.
- Place a stick of pesto butter on the larger side of the meat.
- Fold the remaining side over the butter, then fold under the two ends.
- Press meat together on all sides to securely enclose butter.
- Using 3 separate plates, place the seasoned flour in one, beaten egg in another and bread crumbs in the third.
- Dredge rolled chicken breast in flour and shake off excess.
- Dip into egg, then roll in bread crumbs.
- Firmly pat bread crumbs onto chicken.
- Refrigerate chicken rolls for at least 1 hour to allow breadcrumbs to adhere.
- At this point chicken rolls may be frozen.
- Wrap each chicken roll in plastic wrap, and place in freezer bags.
- Serving day instructions: Unwrap chicken rolls and put on plate in refrigerator and thaw completely.
- In large saute pan, heat 2 tablespoons of butter and olive oil on medium-medium high.
- Saute chicken for about 10-15 minutes, turning chicken until golden brown on all sides.
- Place in a lightly greased baking dish and bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for approximately 40-45 minutes, or until meat is white all the way through. (Be careful not to overbake).