"Chicken and Two Lemons"
I'm not sure how it stays so juicy.. if its the lemons or the fact that you start with it breast side down but it is really a no fail recipe!
The original recipe says if you do it right you can get the skin to blow up like a balloon...While my skin bubbles i've never seen it blow up that dramatically. Non the less its awesome!
How to Make "Chicken and Two Lemons"
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Wash the chicken thoroughly and remove all giblets and extra fat hanging loose. Dry well everywhere with paper towels.
- 3Sprinkle liberal amounts of salt and freshly ground pepper on the chicken inside and out massaging it into the skin with your fingers.
- 4Wash and dry the lemons. Soften them a little by rolling them back and forth on the counter or between your hands. Poke each lemon at least 20 times with a toothpick.
- 5Place the lemons inside the chickens cavity. Close up the opening with toothpicks. (You can also use some kitchen string to loosely tie the legs together so they hold their shape.)
- 6Put the chicken in a roasting pan, breast side down. (your not suppose to add cooking fat of any kind, but I use a silpat and it works great!) Place the bird in the upper 3rd of the pre heated oven.
- 7After 15 minutes, turn the chicken, so the breast is facing up. Be careful not to break the skin. (Don't worry if you do, the skin just won't bubble but will still be tasty!)
- 8Cook for another 20 minutes, then turn the heat up to 400 degrees and cook for an additional 15 minutes or until juices run clear.