Chicken and Sausage Extraordinaire
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 6 oz
- box of long grain wild rice
- 1 lb
- pork sausage
- 1 c
- chopped celery
- onions, chopped
- 4 oz
- jar sliced mushrooms, drained
- boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cooked, sliced
- 3 Tbsp
- 1/4 c
- 1 c
- whipping cream
- 14 oz
- can chicken broth
- 1 tsp
- poultry seasoning
- 1/2 tsp
- seasoned salt
- 1/2 tsp
- white pepper
- 2 Tbsp
- 2 c
- crushed crackers
How to Make Chicken and Sausage Extraordinaire
- 1Cook rice according to package directions and set aside.
- 2In skillet, brown sausage and remove with a slotted spoon. Saute celery and onions in sausage fat until onion is transparent, not brown. Drain.
- 3Stir in mushrooms and chicken and set aside.
- 4Melt butter in large saucepan, add flour and mix well.
- 5Over medium heat, slowly add cream, broth and poultry seasoning. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is fairly thick. Pour into large bowl.
- 6Add salt, white pepper, rice, sausage-onion mixture and chicken-mushroom mixture.
- 7Spoon into 10" x 14" buttered casserole dish.
- 8Mix together melted butter and crushed crackers and sprinkle over casserole.
- 9Bake uncovered at 350* for 40 minutes or until bubbly around edges.
- 10This dish makes enough for 12 - 14 people so it could easily be placed into 2 smaller baking dishes and one may be frozen. If frozen, thaw in refrigerator and make sure it is thawed in the middle before cooking. Add 5 minutes to cooking time because casserole will be cold.