Chicken and Sausage Extraordinaire
★★★★★ 1 vote5
6 ozbox of long grain wild rice
1 lbpork sausage
1 cchopped celery
4 ozjar sliced mushrooms, drained
6boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cooked, sliced
1 cwhipping cream
14 ozcan chicken broth
1 tsppoultry seasoning
1/2 tspseasoned salt
1/2 tspwhite pepper
2 ccrushed crackers
How to Make Chicken and Sausage Extraordinaire
- Cook rice according to package directions and set aside.
- In skillet, brown sausage and remove with a slotted spoon. Saute celery and onions in sausage fat until onion is transparent, not brown. Drain.
- Stir in mushrooms and chicken and set aside.
- Melt butter in large saucepan, add flour and mix well.
- Over medium heat, slowly add cream, broth and poultry seasoning. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is fairly thick. Pour into large bowl.
- Add salt, white pepper, rice, sausage-onion mixture and chicken-mushroom mixture.
- Spoon into 10" x 14" buttered casserole dish.
- Mix together melted butter and crushed crackers and sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake uncovered at 350* for 40 minutes or until bubbly around edges.
- This dish makes enough for 12 - 14 people so it could easily be placed into 2 smaller baking dishes and one may be frozen. If frozen, thaw in refrigerator and make sure it is thawed in the middle before cooking. Add 5 minutes to cooking time because casserole will be cold.