Chicken and Rice Skillet Dinner with a Kick
Blue Ribbon Recipe
With the corn, black beans and picante sauce, this recipe is so colorful ... and tasty.
I didn't have any canned chicken, so I cooked up two chicken breasts and it worked perfectly. This dish is a little spicy, but not overpowering. Adjust the seasonings to your taste. The Test Kitchen
- 10 oz. cans of canned chicken breast, drained
- 1 can(s)
- 10.5 oz chicken broth
- 1 c
- mild pace picante sauce
- 1 tsp
- 1 Tbsp
- olive oil (I prefer)
- 1 c
- minute rice (or any brand instant rice)
- 1 c
- black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 c
- frozen whole kernel corn
- 1/2 c
- shredded cheddar cheese
How to Make Chicken and Rice Skillet Dinner with a Kick
- 1Heat 1 Tablespoon oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat.
- 2Add the rice and cook and stir until its golden.
- 3Stir in broth, picante sauce and cumin and heat to a boil. Cover and cook for 15 minutes
- 4Reduce the heat to low, stir in the canned chicken, beans, and corn. Top with cheese and cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- 5Burrito Variation:
Do steps 1 to 3. Then for step 4 omit the beans and corn and cook the drained chicken with the rice mixture for 5 minutes. In a hot skillet place one tortilla in pan and heat about 10-15 seconds per side until warm and flexible. Place tortilla on a plate; add a portion of the chicken, and rice mixture and top with cheese. Make sure all ingredients are near the middle of the tortilla. Starting from the end closest to you, fold tortilla just over the middle, covering the filling. Carefully fold in both side of the tortilla over the filling, then finish folding to the end, wrapping it all up.