Chicken and Rice
- 1 c
- olive oil, divided
- 2 small
- onions, diced
- 3/4 c
- 3 lb
- chicken breasts, boneless/skinless, cut into 2" chunks
- 2 to 4
- jalapeno peppers, minced
- 14.5 oz cans chicken broth
- green bell pepper
- 3-1/2 c
- rice, long grain
- 3 small
- tomatoes, cut into 8 wedges each
- 29 oz
- water (equals two 14.5 oz chicken broth cans worth)
How to Make Chicken and Rice
- 1In a large, heavy-bottomed soup pot (cast iron works well but any large pot will do),over medium heat, add 1/4 cup olive oil and cook onions until softened. Remove onions from pan and reserve.
- 2Place flour and chicken in a large paper bag and shake gently to coat chicken with flour. Raise heat to medium-high. Shake excess flour from chicken and cook in pot in batches, adding more oil as needed (oil may get quite dark, and that's okay),until well browned on all sides. Remove chicken to a plate. Stir in jalapenos and cook 1 minute.
- 3Add reserved, cooked onions and chicken back to pot. Add chicken broth, saving one empty can. Add 2 cans worth of water. Bring to a boil; then lower to a simmer. Cover and cook 25 minutes.
- 4Slice top and bottom off green pepper. Carefully run a knife in a circular motion around the inside to remove white membrane and seeds (be careful not to puncture the pepper). Slice into thin rounds.
- 5Add rice to pot, stirring well. Cover and cook 10 minutes. Layer pepper slices in a decorative pattern over mixtgure in pot and top with tomatoes. Cover and cook 10 minutes more. Remove from heat and let sit 10 minutes before serving.
- 6Note** You may want to stir everything, making sure to get all the way to the bottom, before adding the peppers and tomatoes, to prevent the bottom of the rice from burning.