Chicken and Mushroom Casserole
It sounds very good,I think it will make a nice addition to our menus.
- 4 -5 large chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into 1 -inch thick strips
- salt and pepper.to taste
- 6 tablespoons olive oil,divided
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms,thickly sliced
- 1 medium onion,finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves,minced
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 c chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 c half and half( or 1/2 c milk+ 1/2 c heavy cream)
- parsley,for garnish
How to Make Chicken and Mushroom Casserole
- 1Season chicken with salt and pepper and dredge both sides in flour. Heat 3 Tbsp oil in a large skillet over medium/high heat. Once oil is hot, add chicken and saute until golden. Work in batches if needed so you don’t crowd your pan. Don’t worry about cooking the chicken through; it still needs to go in the oven. Transfer chicken to a 13×9 casserole baking dish.
- 2Wipe down the skillet with a paper towel. Add 3 Tbsp oil along with sliced mushrooms and diced onions and saute until soft and golden. Add garlic and saute another 1-2 min. Spread mixture over the chicken.
- 3In a medium saucepan (or in the same pan you’ve been using), melt 3 Tbsp butter. Whisk in 3 Tbsp flour until lightly golden (1-2 min).
4. Add 1 1/2 cups chicken broth, 1 Tbsp lemon juice, 1/4 tsp pepper, and whisk until smooth. Add 1 cup half & half and bring to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 4Pour sauce over the chicken and mushrooms. Cover with foil and bake at 350˚F for 45 minutes. Serve warm or hot over mashed potatoes, pasta or rice.