Chicken and Long Rice
This is a very time consuming recipe BUT well worth the time!!
It is delicious.
I always serve this with" Gerry's home made egg rolls".
You should also know that this is not really "Long rice", but bean threads, and the Japanese called it long rice.
Look for the bean threads in the international food aisle in your favorite grocery store.
- 3 pound chicken
- 1/2 c
- soy sauce
- 2 c
- fresh ginger about 1/4 of a root
- 1 pkg
- bean threads (not long rice) found in the international food aisle
- 1/4 c
- canola oil (more or less) to cover bottom of fry pan
- diced pimentos or a 4 ounce jar
How to Make Chicken and Long Rice
- 1De-skin and De-fat the chicken. Cook chicken in the soy sauce and water. Cook on medium high heat and bring to a boil. Simmer until chicken is tender.
I tried a rotisserie chicken to save time and it was okay if you are short on time.
The preferred way is to make the chicken yourself.
- 2Squeeze or pound fresh ginger, use about 1/4 of the root. OR keep ginger root in the freezer, then while still frozen, grate on a fine grater. Set aside to add to the "rice" later.
- 3When chicken is tender, cool a little and remove from the bone. After de-boned reserve the chicken for use in the egg roll recipe or another use. Reserve the broth and keep warm. You will add it to the cooked bean thread later.
- 4Meanwhile, soak rice (bean thread) in warm water. OK to "soak it for hours". Soak a minimum of 2 hours. You will need a large pot to do this. As the bean threads soak they will loosen and soften and spread out. After soaked, rinse under running water a couple of times, then drain.
- 5Over medium high heat add enough oil to cover the bottom of your fry pan. Then add bean threads and ginger. Sorta stir and fry rice with ginger for a minute or two. Then add chicken and broth to fry pan. Continue cooking until heated through.
Liquid will be absorbed by rice (bean thread). May add 1/8 tsp. vinegar.
- 6Add chopped pimentos to above chicken and rice. Add more soy sauce to taste or serve with additional soy sauce on the table.
Ready to serve.