Chicken and Dumplings
- whole or cut-up chicken (@ 2-3 lbs)
- 1 medium
- onion, chopped
- 32 oz
- chicken stock + enough water to cover chicken
- 1 Tbsp
- chopped garlic
- garlic salt, for seasoning
- black pepper, for seasoning
- ribs celery, thinly sliced
- 4 - 6 can(s)
- canned buttermilk biscuits (not the fakey kind)
- 1 can(s)
- (10.5 oz) cream of chicken soup
- chopped green onion for garnish (optional)
How to Make Chicken and Dumplings
- 1Season chicken well inside and out with garlic salt and pepper.
- 2Place chicken, onion, garlic, and celery in large pot and cover with chicken broth. Add water if necessary to cover the chicken. Add 1 teaspoon garlic salt and 1 teaspoon black pepper.
- 3Cover and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Lower the heat to medium and let cook for @ 30 minutes.
- 4Remove chicken from pot and let cool a little. Lower the heat to medium-low. While the chicken is cooling, prepare the dumplings.
- 5Open a can of biscuits. With each biscuit, pinch a small piece of the dough off and roll it between your hands to make a small ball. Each biscuit should produce 4 or 5 dumplings. Drop each dumpling into chicken stock as you make them. Continue with each biscuit (stirring occasionally) until you have completed all of the biscuit dough. Once completed, stir gently to be sure the dumplings don’t stick together. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 6While the dumplings are cooking, remove skin from chicken and remove meat from the bone; put the chicken meat into the pot with the dumplings. If the chicken is not completely done, that’s OK. You will be cooking a little longer with the dumplings. It is not necessary to shred the chicken…larger pieces are really good.
- 7Add the cream of chicken soup to the pot. Stir well. Cook slowly for about @ 20 more minutes stirring gently to be sure you don’t break up the pieces of chicken too much.
- 8Ladle into bowls, garnish and serve piping hot.