Chicken and Dumplings1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
2 lbwhole chicken
6black peppercorns, whole
3 mediumcarrots, peeled
3/4 ccold water
1 tspdried rubbed sage
1 cbiscuit mix
2 Tbspparsley flakes
4 ozbutton mushrooms, drained
10 ozpeas, frozen, thawed
How to Make Chicken and Dumplings
- Wash chicken and pat dry.
- Place chicken, the 2 cups water, peppercorns, bay leaves and salt in a deep, 2 1/2 to 3-quart, heat-resistant, non-metallic casserole.
- Heat, covered, in microwave oven 10 minutes. Stir, then heat, covered, in microwave oven an additional 5 minutes.
- Add carrot slices and heat, covered, in microwave 5 minutes longer.
- Remove chicken pieces from broth and set chicken aside until cool enough to handle. Reserve broth.
- Remove chicken from bone: and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Return chicken to casserole.
- In a small bowl combine flour, the 3/4 cup cold water and the sage until smooth.
- Gradually stir flour mixture into chicken mixture.
- Heat, covered, in microwave 5 minutes or until gravy is thickened and smooth, stir occasionally.
- Prepare dumpling dough in a small bowl by combining biscuit mix, milk and parsley flakes; stir with a fork until just blended.
- Add mushrooms and peas to chicken and gravy mixture.
- Drop dumpling dough by spoonfuls onto hot chicken mixture to form 6 dumplings and heat, covered, in microwave 4 minutes.
- Uncover casserole and heat an additional 2 to 4 minutes or until dumplings are no longer doughy on the underside.