Chicken and Dumplings
I will put a pic of this up today after I reheat my leftovers. :)
- whole chicken, approximately 3-4 pounds
- bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- 1 large
- can of low sodium/low fat chicken broth
- cups of bisquick
- 1 1/4 c
- milk, divided
How to Make Chicken and Dumplings
- 1Clean and rince off your chicken, place it in a large soup pot and cover with water by a couple inches, add your bay leaf and chopped dehydrated onion. I let this simmer on the stove until its reduced by about half. S&P
- 2Remove your chicken and set it aside to cool off so you don't burn your hands when you clean the meat off. Throw away the bay leaf.
- 3After chicken is cool enough to handle clean off all skin and I remove the chicken off the bone in nice sized chunks. Set aside.
- 4At this point I will taste the broth, if it tasts ok and I have enough liquid I do nothing, if I need more liquid(9 times out of 10 I do) I add the extra can of broth. Turn your burner on high just to get it boiling and you can reduce the heat to a high simmer after that.
- 5Mix 2/3 cup of milk and 2 cups of Bisquick in a bowl and drop small pinches of the mixture into the boiling liquid, keep stirring, you will do this one more time. The first batch usually disolves which thickens your broth. Now one more time mix 2/3 cup of milk and 2 cups of bisquick and drop by teaspoons into the thickened broth. I keep stirring this so nothing sticks to the bottom of the pan I let this cook for another 20 minutes then add my chicken back in. S&P to taste.