Chicken Ala King- dairy- & soy-free
To make this quick to prepare after work, I chop the chicken, onion, and mushroom the night before and keep them in plastic bags in the refrigerator for the next day.
Also, note that this dish does not taste like coconut from the coconut milk. The coconut milk just helps to make it creamy.
3-4 Tbspcanola oil
1 smallonion, chopped
·salt and pepper
8 ozcremini mushrooms, chopped
2-3 Tbspall-purpose flour
3/4 cchicken broth, low salt
1/4 csilk pure coconut milk- original flavor
1/2 tspgarlic powder
2boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chopped
3/4 cfrozen peas
·white rice, cooking according to the package
How to Make Chicken Ala King- dairy- & soy-free
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sauté until the onion starts to become translucent, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and cook until they soften. Sprinkle the onions and mushrooms with the flour. Stir and until everything is coated.
- Slowly add the chicken broth to the pan while whisking. Next add the coconut milk. Sprinkle the sauce with garlic powder and then stir to combine.
- Add the chicken and the frozen peas and cook over medium heat until the chicken is cook through, about 15-20 minutes.
- If at any point the sauce it too thick, add more chicken broth until it reached desired consistency.
- Serve over white rice.