Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas
If you don't want to use canned soup, make some thick, creamy chicken gravy and use about 1 1/4 cups of gravy in place of the soup.
- 2 c
- cooked chicken, diced
- 1/2 large
- onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp
- olive oil
- 3 oz
- cream cheese, cut into small cubes and softened
- 1/2 to 1 tsp
- ground cumin
- 10 slice
- pepper jack cheese
- 10 small
- flour tortillas
- 1 small
- can (7 oz.) salsa verde (tomatillo salsa)
- 1 can(s)
- cream of chicken soup
How to Make Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas
- 1Heat oil in a medium skillet. Sauté the chicken and onion over medium heat until onion is soft and chicken starts to brown. Stir in cream cheese and ground cumin, until well blended. Remove from heat.
- 2In a small saucepan, heat salsa and soup over low heat, stirring to blend, until hot. Keep warm.
- 3Cut the slices of cheese in half. Take half of those slices and cut them lengthwise in half again, making 20 strips of cheese. You will have 10 larger half-slices and 20 strips of cheese.
- 4Microwave the stack of 10 tortillas covered with a damp paper towel for 1 minute, until soft.
Place 2 strips of cheese down the middle of each tortilla, and about 3 tablespoons of the chicken filling on top of the cheese. Fold and roll each tortilla to enclose the filling and place seam-side down in an 8 x 12" (or similar size) baking dish.
- 5Heat oven to 400°F. Pour the salsa-soup mixture evenly over the enchiladas in the baking dish. Place the larger half-slices of cheese over top of the enchiladas, covering them down the middle from end to end.
Bake for 20 minutes until hot and cheese is melted and lightly browned.