CAROLINE'S CHICKEN AND TOMATO PENNE PASTA
- 4 lb
- boneless chicken breast (about 6 large pieces)
- 16 oz
- penne rigate pasta
- 1 lb
- broccoli florets, frozen
- 28 oz
- canned diced tomatoes
- 1 large
- green bell pepper
- 1 large
- red bell pepper
- 2 lb
- shredded whole milk mozzarella cheese, divided
- 3 medium
- fresh firm tomatoes
- 24 oz
- small fresh button mushrooms
- 1/2 c
- diced onion
- 5 large
- garlic cloves
- 2 Tbsp
- dry basil ( or 1/3 cup fresh)
- 1/2 c
- olive oil
- 1 stick
- salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- 1/2 c
- french's fried onions to taste
How to Make CAROLINE'S CHICKEN AND TOMATO PENNE PASTA
- 1First slice, dice, clean and prep ALL ingredients as directed below.
- 2Cut chicken breasts into strips by cutting across (short way) each breast. Cut about 1/4 to 1/3 inch thick strips. Set aside.
- 3Place frozen broccoli florets in a colander and rinse with cool water and let drain. Set aside.
- 4Wash, then slice bell peppers in half (long way from top to bottom) clean out seeds and slice into 1/4 wide long strips. Set aside.
- 5Crush and mince garlic. Put into small bowl.
- 6Slice and mince onion. Add to garlic in bowl.
- 7Measure dry basil or finely chop fresh basil. Add to garlic and onion in bowl.
- 8Clean and prep mushrooms. Leave whole if 1 inch or less and cut in half if larger, but you want pieces to be around the size of a quarter at least.
- 9Wash and slice fresh tomatoes into wedges by slicing from top to bottom in half, then slice each half into 4 wedges. (You should have 24 wedges from 3 medium tomatoes.)
- 10NEXT STEPS TO COOK
- 11Place on stove, one large pot of water to cover chicken seasoned with salt and bring to boil.
Add chicken strips, boil about 15 minutes and drain.
- 12Place on stove, second large pot of water for pasta seasoned with salt. Heat to a boil.
Add penne pasta and cook to aldente stage.
Add broccoli florets and bring back to a boil for 1 minute. Turn off heat and drain pasta and broccoli in a large colander. Transfer to a very large mixing bowl. Slice one stick of margerine into pasta mix and add 1 + 1/2 lbs (24oz.) of shredded mozzerella cheese and toss gently to mix.
- 13Place on stove one very large skillet with olive oil and heat.
Add sliced peppers and cook for about 1 minute.
Add garlic and onions and basil and cook for about 3 minutes.
Add mushrooms, be sure to stir and coat all ingredients with mixture and cook for about 5 minutes.
Add whole can of diced tomatoes (juice and all) and simmer cook for about 5 minutes.
- 14Add cooked chicken strips to tomato mixture and stir to mix.
Season with salt and cracked black pepper.
Cook about 2-3 minutes more.
Stiring this mixture to coat as you go is important.
- 15Next pour skillet contents over pasta/cheese mix, and toss gently to mix.
- 16Pour into a large baking dish or several smaller ones coated with cooking spray.
- 17Top with tomato wedges.
- 18Use salt and cracked black pepper over wedges.
- 19Sprinkle rest of shredded cheese over wedges.
- 20Sprinkle with French fried onions to top.
- 21Place in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes or until it begins to bubble.
Makes 8 to 10 good sized servings. `
- 22Just add warm french bread or a side salad if desired, to complete this one dish meal.