CAROLINE'S CHICKEN AND TOMATO PENNE PASTA
4 lbboneless chicken breast (about 6 large pieces)
16 ozpenne rigate pasta
1 lbbroccoli florets, frozen
28 ozcanned diced tomatoes
1 largegreen bell pepper
1 largered bell pepper
2 lbshredded whole milk mozzarella cheese, divided
3 mediumfresh firm tomatoes
24 ozsmall fresh button mushrooms
1/2 cdiced onion
5 largegarlic cloves
2 Tbspdry basil ( or 1/3 cup fresh)
1/2 colive oil
·salt and cracked black pepper to taste
1/2 cfrench's fried onions to taste
How to Make CAROLINE'S CHICKEN AND TOMATO PENNE PASTA
- First slice, dice, clean and prep ALL ingredients as directed below.
- Cut chicken breasts into strips by cutting across (short way) each breast. Cut about 1/4 to 1/3 inch thick strips. Set aside.
- Place frozen broccoli florets in a colander and rinse with cool water and let drain. Set aside.
- Wash, then slice bell peppers in half (long way from top to bottom) clean out seeds and slice into 1/4 wide long strips. Set aside.
- Crush and mince garlic. Put into small bowl.
- Slice and mince onion. Add to garlic in bowl.
- Measure dry basil or finely chop fresh basil. Add to garlic and onion in bowl.
- Clean and prep mushrooms. Leave whole if 1 inch or less and cut in half if larger, but you want pieces to be around the size of a quarter at least.
- Wash and slice fresh tomatoes into wedges by slicing from top to bottom in half, then slice each half into 4 wedges. (You should have 24 wedges from 3 medium tomatoes.)
- NEXT STEPS TO COOK
- Place on stove, one large pot of water to cover chicken seasoned with salt and bring to boil.
Add chicken strips, boil about 15 minutes and drain.
- Place on stove, second large pot of water for pasta seasoned with salt. Heat to a boil.
Add penne pasta and cook to aldente stage.
Add broccoli florets and bring back to a boil for 1 minute. Turn off heat and drain pasta and broccoli in a large colander. Transfer to a very large mixing bowl. Slice one stick of margerine into pasta mix and add 1 + 1/2 lbs (24oz.) of shredded mozzerella cheese and toss gently to mix.
- Place on stove one very large skillet with olive oil and heat.
Add sliced peppers and cook for about 1 minute.
Add garlic and onions and basil and cook for about 3 minutes.
Add mushrooms, be sure to stir and coat all ingredients with mixture and cook for about 5 minutes.
Add whole can of diced tomatoes (juice and all) and simmer cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add cooked chicken strips to tomato mixture and stir to mix.
Season with salt and cracked black pepper.
Cook about 2-3 minutes more.
Stiring this mixture to coat as you go is important.
- Next pour skillet contents over pasta/cheese mix, and toss gently to mix.
- Pour into a large baking dish or several smaller ones coated with cooking spray.
- Top with tomato wedges.
- Use salt and cracked black pepper over wedges.
- Sprinkle rest of shredded cheese over wedges.
- Sprinkle with French fried onions to top.
- Place in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes or until it begins to bubble.
Makes 8 to 10 good sized servings. `
- Just add warm french bread or a side salad if desired, to complete this one dish meal.