Carmelized Onion Cornbread Dressing
Blue Ribbon Recipe
Sweet cornbread and zesty Italian sausage? Yes, please! This recipe is wonderful...a delightful departure from other more traditional dressings. The Test Kitchen
- 2 box
- Jiffy cornbread mix (prepared as directed, crumbled)
- 2 medium
- chicken pieces (cooked and shredded) or 2 links Johnsonville mild Italian sausage, plus 1 link Johnsonville hot Italian sausage (casing removed and cooked)
- 1 can(s)
- cream of mushroom soup
- 3-4 c
- chicken stock
- 2 medium
- onions (diced)
- 1-2 Tbsp
- dried sage
- 4-6 Tbsp
How to Make Carmelized Onion Cornbread Dressing
- 1Make cornbread according to package directions.
- 2Once cornbread baked, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Using butter or EVOO (I use both), saute diced onions in medium to large saucepan until dark brown. Pour into greased 9x13 baking dish. Add crumbled cornbread, cooked meat of choice and sage.
- 3In medium bowl, whisk together soup and 1c chicken broth. Pour over cornbread mixture. Toss until well combined.
- 4Pour remaining stock over dressing mixture, stirring until completely moistened. Bake for approximately 30 minutes.
Optional: Top w/ 4-6 tbsp butter during last few minutes of baking.