Canton Chicken and Snow Peas1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
1 1/2 lbchicken breast, boneless and skinless, cut in chunks
2 tspsoy sauce
3 1/2 Tbspsalad oil
1 smallminced garlic clove
1/2 cbamboo shoots, sliced
1/4 lbsnow pea pods, trimmed
1 Tbspdry sherry
2 Tbspoyster sauce
1 tspsesame oil
How to Make Canton Chicken and Snow Peas
- Cover mushrooms with warm water, let stand for 30 minutes, then drain.
- Cut off and discard stems; squeeze mushrooms dry, thinly slice and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine soy, cornstarch, sherry, water and pepper.
- Add chicken and toss to coat, then stir in 1 1/2 teaspoon of the oil and let stand for fifteen minutes to marinate.
- Prepare cooking sauce - mix together water, sherry, oyster sauce, sugar, sesame oil and cornstarch and set aside.
- Place a wok or wide frying pan over high heat.
- When pan is hot, add 2 tablespoon of the oil.
- When oil begins to heat, add garlic and stir once.
- Add chicken and stir-fry until chicken is opaque (about 3 minutes).
- Remove chicken from pan.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan.
- When oil is hot, add mushrooms and bamboo shoots.
- Stir-fry for one minutes, adding a few drops water if pan appears dry.
- Add snow peas and stir-fry for 1 1/2 minutes, adding a few drops more water if pan appears dry.
- Return chicken to pan.
- Stir cooking sauce, add to pan, and cook, stirring until sauce bubbles and thickens.
- Variations: Cashew or Almond Chicken - first toast 1/2 cup cashews or blanched almonds in 1 tablespoon salad oil over medium-low heat until golden; remove from pan and set aside.
- Stir in nuts just before serving.