Buttermilk Roast Chicken
5 clovegarlic peeled and smashed
1 Tbspsea salt
1-1/2 tsppaprika, plus extra for sprinkling ( i used smoked)
1+ Tbsplots of freshly crushed peppercorns (i like pepper so added more
2-1/2-3 lbchicken parts i used thighs and legs
·drizzle of olive oil
3 tspduck fat (optional) think i will use bacon drippings
·chopped coriander (optional) think i will use broad leaf parsley
How to Make Buttermilk Roast Chicken
- In a bowl with the buttermilk, whisk it with the garlic, salt, sugar, paprika and lots of freshly ground black pepper. Place all the chicken parts in a gallon-sized freezer bag (or lidded container) and pour the buttermilk brine over them. Swish it around so that all parts are covered. Refrigerate for at least 2 but preferably 24 and up to 48 hours (they tried an extra 24 hours without incident).
- When ready to cook preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Heat up a cast iron skillet on medium high heat.
- Add in the goose/duck fat if using, drizzle over some olive oil. (I used bacon drippings).
- Remove chicken from buttermilk brine, shake off excess and arrange skin side up on the skillet. Turn off heat. (If using a baking dish, just arrange the chicken in it skin side up.)
- Drizzle lightly with olive oil, then sprinkle with additional paprika and sea salt to taste.
- Roast for 20 minutes if using cast iron skillet or 25-30 minutes if using baking dish, until brown and done.
- Garnish with herbs of choice if using, serve immediately with pan drippings over some potatoes or greens.