Buttermilk Fried Chicken with Spicy Honey Dizzle
Blue Ribbon Recipe
We just love the crispiness of this recipe! Our chicken rested in the fridge for about 6 hours before frying... the result was perfection. The Test Kitchen
- 1 fryer
- cut up (about 4 lbs) or your favorite chicken pieces, bone in
- 2 c
- buttermilk in a pie plate
- 2 c
- flour in a plastic bag. also added to flour - 1 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp cayenne, 2 tsp dry mustard, 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder and/or 2 tbsp paprika. whatever seasoning you like.
- 2 c
- crisco oil - fill 10 inch to 12 inch skillet about 1/2 inch deep. oil should be hot but not smoking.
How to Make Buttermilk Fried Chicken with Spicy Honey Dizzle
- 1Remove skin, rinse and pat dry well. Salt & pepper pieces.
- 2Dip pieces of chicken, one at a time, into flour. Shake bag to coat chicken, remove and dip pieces in the buttermilk, then back into the flour and shake bag to coat. Remove chicken from bag, shaking off excess flour and put on a plate or wire rack. Can cover and refrigerate for hour or over night, but not necessary.
- 3When oil is hot place chicken pieces in skillet, but do not crowd. Fry chicken at least 12 minutes per SIDE. It will depend on how large the pieces are and dark meat takes longer than the white meat. Also, if oil is too hot it will burn the outside and not cook the inside. When the chicken is fried, drain on paper towels and put in oven proof dish and cover with foil. Place in a 250 degree oven to keep warm and also it will keep cooking.
- 4Yummy drizzle for chicken. Add a few drops of hot sauce in 1/2 cup honey and warm in microwave. Lightly drizzle over pieces of chicken. Finger lickin good.