I do like to turn up the heat in the beginning to crisp up the chicken, but you don't have to!
Also, I love to add more paprika and sometimes throw in a jalapeno whole (discard at end of cooking).
- chicken pieces (legs and thigh mix)
- 1/4 c
- olive oil
- tomatos, diced
- garlic cloves, smashed
- yellow onions, diced
- green bell pepper, sliced into strips
- red bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 1/2 c
- chicken stock
- chile pepper, seeded and diced
- bay leaves
- 2 Tbsp
- white peppercorns, bruised
- handful of parsley, finely chopped
- salt to taste
How to Make Bulgarian Chicken
- 1In dutch oven on stovetop, heat up olive oil. (If you have a thick one, use vegetable oil because it has a higher tolerance of temperature... won't burn out as quick as olive oil). Brown chicken lightly.
- 2Add all remaining ingredients except for parsley. Stir well.
- 3Cover tightly and let cook over low - low / medium heat, stirring occasionally, until chicken is tender (about 2 hours).
- 4Turn off heat. Add parsley, mix, cover and let standd for 25-30 minutes before serving.
- 5** Sauce will not be thick. If you want a thicker sauce, during last 5 minutes of cooking, mix 1-2 Tbs cornstarch or flour in separate bowl along with a few ladels of hot broth from pot. Mix away all lumps and add mixture back to pot.